Why you shouldn’t mix bleach and vinegar: Daughter’s cleaning failure puts whole family in jeopardy

Daughter’s massive cleaning failure leaves her panicked family locked in a room on the phone to a poison hotline: ‘Make sure you never do this’

  • A daughter unknowingly made a potentially lethal gas when cleaning
  • Samantha was cleaning the kitchen and used both bleach and vinegar
  • The two chemicals should never be combined as it creates chlorine gas
  • The family confined themselves to one bedroom until assistance arrived

A young woman unknowingly created a potentially lethal gas by mixing two chemicals when cleaning.

Samantha, from the US, helped her family at Christmas by cleaning the kitchen but decided to use bleach and vinegar – two chemicals that should never be combined.

Consequently, the family confined themselves in one bedroom of the home until assistance arrived and cleared the poisonous toxins in the air.

According to Healthline, bleach and vinegar can create chlorine gas – which can be harmful.

Scroll down for video

Samantha, from the US, (pictured) helped her family at Christmas by cleaning the kitchen but decided to use bleach and vinegar - two chemicals that should never be combined

To get away from the gas, the family needed to confine themselves in a bedroom until help arrived

Samantha, from the US, (pictured) helped her family at Christmas by cleaning the kitchen but decided to use bleach and vinegar – two chemicals that should never be combined. To get away from the gas, the family confined themselves in a bedroom until help arrived

'My grandparents were just gassed to be spending time with us,' Samantha (pictured) captioned the clip along with the hashtags 'Christmas spirit' and 'stupidity'

‘My grandparents were just gassed to be spending time with us,’ Samantha (pictured) captioned the clip along with the hashtags ‘Christmas spirit’ and ‘stupidity’

In a video seen more than 18 million times, Samantha detailed the eye-opening experience.

‘My grandparents were just gassed to be spending time with us,’ she captioned the clip along with the hashtags ‘Christmas spirit’ and ‘stupidity’.

‘I accidentally cleaned the kitchen with bleach and vinegar and now we’re all stuck in the same room on the phone with poison control’.

In the clip, Samantha can be seen with her family and the dog huddled inside one small bedroom with the door closed.

She also revealed that the family could not go outside because of a snowstorm.

Why you shouldn’t mix bleach and vinegar

Mixing bleach and vinegar creates potentially lethal chlorine gas

If you notice a pungent smell after mixing household cleaners, you should immediately leave the area and try to breathe in fresh air.

If you or somebody you know notice any symptoms of chlorine gas poisoning, it’s a good idea to immediately call 000 if you’re in Australia

Source: Healthline

Thousands were concerned for the well-being of the family and commented on the video.

‘This is why chemistry class needs to be mandatory,’ one person wrote, another said: ‘Nooooo!!!!! Only clean [using] one cleaning product at a time.’

But some were unaware of the dangers of mixing chemicals.

‘Wait what.. I didn’t know you couldn’t do this,’ one said.

‘Is this common knowledge or something?? Cause I had no idea,’ another admitted.

A third said: ‘Thank God I hate the smell of vinegar cause I probably would have done this.’

CHEMICALS YOU SHOULD NEVER MIX:

Bleach + Vinegar

Baking Soda + Vinegar

Bleach + Ammonia

Two different types of drain cleaner

Hydrogen Peroxide + Vinegar

Bleach + Rubbing Alcohol

Source: Good House Keeping

Only one cleaning product should be used at a time when cleaning the home – and many opt to use vinegar as a non-toxic solution.

It’s also a common natural antibacterial used to kill unwanted germs from surfaces around the home and is a suitable alternative to using harsh chemicals.

Vinegar can be used to clean several areas around the home, including toilets, floors, benchtops, laundry and showers or bathtubs.

Top ways to use vinegar when cleaning

Vinegar is nontoxic and eco-friendly, making it the ultimate multipurpose cleaning solution

It’s a great cleaner and disinfectant because it’s made from acetic acid

Acetic acid is a colorless organic compound that gives vinegar its sour taste and pungent smell

Vinegar can be used to clean:

  • Glass
  • Countertops
  • Showers and bathtubs
  • Toilets
  • Floors
  • Dishwashers, ovens and microwaves
  • Laundry

Source: Healthline

Advertisement

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *