It’s time for another Overwatch 2 balance patch and this one brings some much-needed changes to Roadhog and Sojourn. Both of those heroes have been overpowered for a while and, a couple weeks before Season 3 is slated to start, they’re being tuned down quite a bit.
Roadhog’s classic hook-shot-melee combo should be less of a threat for many heroes thanks to Chain Hook and Scrap Gun changes. He should still be effective enough and especially devastating when Whole Hog can be combined with Kitsune Rush for a faster rate of fire. Well-coordinated teams should be able to quickly delete a hooked enemy too. But, starting now, getting hooked by Roadhog doesn’t necessarily spell an immediate death sentence for many heroes.
The Sojourn changes are a big deal too. She’s been a very strong hero since she debuted alongside the Overwatch 2 launch, thanks to her powerful Railgun shot. Moving forward, it’ll take longer on average to charge up the Railgun, even if she’s getting damage boosted by Mercy or nailing headshots. Railgun charge is now based on the number of primary fire shots that damage an enemy.
These tweaks are perhaps overdue. Roadhog and Sojourn have been difficult opponents for many players for months. Here’s hoping these changes smooth out their effectiveness from now on.
Meanwhile, there are some smaller changes to Orisa and Kiriko. Blizzard didn’t provide any developer comments for the Orisa change, but by tuning down the health bonus she receives when activating Fortify, it’s a clear sign that the devs felt her survivability was a bit too high.
Here are the Overwatch 2 patch notes for January 24, including developer comments:
- Health bonus reduced from 125 to 75
- Impact damage reduced from 30 to 5
- The enemy final position distance from Roadhog after being pulled increased from 3 to 4 meters
- Damage per pellet reduced from 6.6 to 6
- Recovery time reduced from 0.85 to 0.8 seconds
- Reload time reduced from 2 to 1.75 seconds
- Maximum ammo increased from 5 to 6
Developer Comments: These changes aim to reduce the frustration of dying in one shot immediately after being hooked and pulled by Roadhog. Chain Hook is still a powerful utility to forcibly reposition enemy players, so it will still often lead to eliminations. Its effectiveness will now be more dependent on specific hero matchups and how the hooked target is able to respond.
- Energy gain is no longer based on damage done by primary fire. Each primary fire hit against an enemy player now grants 5 energy
- Primary fire damage per projectile reduced from 10 to 9
Developer Comments: The energy gain adjustment will help smooth out Sojourn’s average Railgun charge time to kill because it won’t benefit as much from critical damage or damage boost abilities. Hitting armored targets or other sources of damage reduction will result in faster energy gains than before.
Previously, damage boosts and critical damage had an amplified effect for Sojourn since it reduced the time to build energy and lowered the threshold at which each Railgun secondary fire became lethal. The reduction to primary fire damage will further slow that down as well.
In Healing Ofuda
- Recovery time increased from 0.85 to 1 second
Developer Comments: Despite Kiriko’s healing projectiles being slow-moving and single target, her average healing output per match is higher than we’d like. We’ve seen players tend to get overly focused on maximizing her healing potential and only use primary fire for extended periods of time. Rather than reducing the amount of healing per projectile, which may lead to feeling locked into focusing on primary fire even more, we’re increasing the recovery time before she can start firing the Healing Ofuda. Increasing recovery times opens the opportunity to weave in secondary fire Kunai more freely.
- Fixed an issue with the “Winged Sandals’ weapon charm’s ‘How to Unlock’ text
- Adjusted footsteps audio mixing to make enemy footsteps more audible
- Fixed an issue with Lucio’s Hermes skin exhibiting incorrect physics
- Fixed an issue with Reinhardt’s Hammer appearing deformed during the Sweethardt emote
- Fixed an issue where Sojourn’s Cyber Detective Skin would fail to load
- Fixed an issue with Adaptive Shield where it could be incorrectly applied before the cooldown was complete
Meanwhile, the Lunar New Year 2023 event is ongoing. It will run until February 6, just before Season 3 is expected to start.
For more news and updates on Overwatch 2 and other games, follow my Forbes blog! You’ll get a weekly round-up email that includes everything I publish. You’d be doing me a solid, too — it’s a great way to support me and my work at no cost. Follow me on Twitter swear Mastodon as well.